Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Night in the Global Village
Heifer International is a wonderful organization that I am personally involved with. I purchase trees for eroded countrysides in underdeveloped countries whenever I can to help out villages in need. Global Gateway, which is a part of Heifer International puts "well off" children in the shoes of impoverished children. There are several village you get to live in for the night with different pros and cons relating to the village. It is a wonderful educational experience. They really get to experience what it would be like to live in an undesirable situation. The children (along with chaperons) must build fires, feed themselves and keep warm.

Students watching this video may realize how good they have it. Even children from low income families can benefit from watching this video and realize that they may not be that "bad off".

The Edible Schoolyard
A middle school in California participates in a taking care of a garden during their first period class. It is an organic garden, so it incorporates the health of yourself and your planet. They relate the garden with math, science and social studies skills in the adjacent building. Team work must also be used.

Learning about taking care of our planet is a very important issue that many people do not think about. People's minds are changing, but not enough. Too many people think that taking care of our planet is just for "hippies". I understand that eating organic food is good for myself and my environment. I understand that animals treated with growth hormones and antibiotics are not treated well, and everything that is put into their bodies is put into ours. This is a huge point of interest to me. I do everything that I can to help our planet stay healthy for the future of our children. I think that teaching this generation about conservation and healthy lifestyles will not only benefit them, but it will also benefit everyone else who shares the same Earth.

No comments: