Tuesday, September 2, 2008

ACCESS

Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators and Students Statewide provides students with a chance to enroll in advanced classes during their high school career. A lot of high schools in Alabama are not able to provide courses needed for an advanced diploma or advanced placement courses. By linking up via the web, students are able to either have direct contact with a teacher like a real classroom (IVC synchronous courses) or the student receives prepackaged information from a qualified teacher (asynchronous courses). There are also courses that mesh the two types together.

I have not used ACCESS before, but I have taken distance courses in college. I feel like I did get the most out of those courses with the convenience of completing my work at my own leisure. Because the courses are directed to those who are seeking an advanced diploma or AP courses, I believe that ACCESS would benefit those high school students that are willing to work hard to go above and beyond what is expected. When I begin teaching, I will make my students aware of this program and encourage my students to take advantage of such a great opportunity. ACCESS would allow those ambitious students to remain engaged in school and not become bored in basic courses.

No comments: